Sunday, April 7, 2019

My Life in Pictures


It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of dirt track racing. Pictured here are the two NOSA sprint cars that I follow fairly closely throughout each season. The Buffalo Wild Wings #13 car is driven by my third cousin, Mark Dobmeier. The multi-sponsor #27 is driven by Chris Ranten. I also keep good track of how Jordan Adams is doing each season in the 20A car. Obviously, family loyalty has made Mark my favorite racer since I was a kid. Ranten and Adams are two drivers I've seen from their very first seasons, and it's been fun to watch both of them develop into drivers who, if they can make enough races each season, are often finishing in the top 5, and hopefully snagging a few feature wins here and there. Folks, if you aren't watching local sprint car racing, you're missing out. 


My dad and I took a narrow road through some hills last summer. Northeast North Dakota is not flat at all if one knows where to go. This was fun. Had the road been in better condition, I think we might have returned in the fall when the colors were changing. 


A street stock driver whose name I can't recall had himself a pretty scary wreck. His car came partially through the fence. While I'm sure he knew he'd stop, it has to be nerve-wracking to see fans not 20-30 feet from the car after a wreck. 


Kristin Hannah has been one of my favorite authors over the past year. Even her lesser novels have sections of truly moving narrative. Pictured here is Magic Hour, which is my second favorite Hannah novel so far. If you're curious, give her books a chance. You won't be disappointed. 


I can't honestly tell you what this is without asking someone with more knowledge of antique farm equipment. It's a beautiful piece. I'm always happy to pass it by when I'm fixing fence in the summertime. 


This picture struck me because of the evil mushroom shadow. The middle top bag is actually a different variety from the two outside toppers. Thank goodness a co-worker caught this because I hadn't noticed. We were able to re-locate it to its proper place. 


Yes, I was that guy when Pizza Corner changed their packaging. Side by side. The old packaging was significantly better. The new pizzas freezer-burn faster because they aren't airtight. It's still darn good frozen pizza if you watch for when it's on sale. You just have to eat it sooner. 


When we are busy, we end up with temporary help who are sometimes forklift qualified, so we have them pass our necessary tests and then have them operate lifts in a pinch. They are usually decent operators, but I prefer not to have them stack bags, and here is a prime example of why I usually keep them to simpler tasks. Some newbie placed a bag about 6 inches past the front of the bottom bag. There was another bag on top of this. What could go wrong? Thankfully somebody pointed it out to me and we were able to break the stack down and fix it. 


Dolly (left) and Porter (right) can both behave much better than they usually do. Especially if you have treats in your hands. Brats. I sent this picture to a friend with a caption that read, "230 pounds of utter chaos somehow behaving long enough for me to take a picture."


This is the most recently born calf at the Dobmeier farm (4/7/2019). Cute little bugger, eh?


I haven't studied stoic philosophy all that thoroughly, but I do find their general way of thinking to be very beneficial for my everyday perspectives. Life is bigger than one thing, be that a partner, a job, or even a passion. Don't let emotion rule your life. 


I stumbled across this picture one day and it moved me very deeply. I love the song "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)" by Alan Jackson, so obviously this caught my attention. 


No comments:

Post a Comment