Wednesday, March 13, 2019

The Return of the Hayloft/Wade Bowen Review

What can I say? It's been a long time, which is compounded by the fact that my last 3-5 posts/reviews have had such large gaps between them. Life happens, I guess, but that's just an excuse. Now and in any other context that it's used. Life happens.

The purpose is much the same now as it was at this blog's origin. I'm here to write about things I'm passionate about while also hoping that it jump-starts my short fiction writing. It worked the first time, so why not try it again? 

I'm going to attempt to incorporate other aspects of my life into The Hayloft, not just music reviews. Be on the lookout for pictures from life in Rural America, work in the agriculture industry, beautiful places in northeast North Dakota, and opinion pieces. Sometimes all a person needs to quiet their mind is a place for their thoughts. I'm going to give it a try. Also, I will be reviewing albums from any format and from any time period. There will still be some new releases, of course. If I feel passionately about an album, I want to review it, and so I will. 

Thanks to everybody who has read and will happily continue to read, as well as any others who will begin to read as I try to get this thing going again. Your support and interest means a great deal to me. I'll be the first to admit that the review format is more rigid than I like to work with, but there are a handful of my reviews that I am truly proud of (American Band by Drive-By Truckers, I'm Not the Devil by Cody Jinks, and Fighter by David Nail, if any of you are interested in looking at my better pieces). I'll improve over time, and I need to start again somewhere. 

On to the review: Wade Bowen's Self-Titled Album


Wade Bowen is a generational songwriter, as far as I'm concerned. Luckily for us fans, we've been allowed to witness his growth in the art form. From his early days in college to the prime of his career, which I can happily say he is still in, especially after the release of his most recent album, Solid Ground. The great road block in my review process happens to be Solid Ground. I cannot find sufficient words, and every time I attempt to write the review, I fail to do the album justice. 

So here I am, retreating to Bowen's prior album, which is also fantastic. "When I Woke Up Today" opens the album on an upbeat note, and was also the lead single. It's a grower. I wasn't a huge fan right away, but over time it became one of my favorite Wade Bowen tunes. Lyrically, the song discusses the balance of highs and lows that life presents to all of us. The narrator maintains a glass half-full perspective while acknowledging hardship. "When I Woke Up Today" is dark despite its sunny arrangement, and yet light at times to counter that darkness. Much like life itself.

"Sun Shines on a Dreamer" acts as justification for the continuous effort of chasing one's dream. It's airy and cheerful and so strange to hear from Wade Bowen. Nevertheless, it's a great song, and one I'd certainly want to hear live. At track three is "My California," the first classic Bowen ballad on the album. This song, paired with "Hungover" at track 5, perfectly represent what Wade Bowen has always excelled at. Clever lyricism and grade-A hooks in each chorus. You can't go wrong with either song.

"Watch Her Drive" is an interesting left turn at six and a half minutes. Bowen continued this tangent on Solid Ground with more long songs, and he and his band are really quite good at it. "Watch Her Drive" is never boring and doesn't seem as long as it is. 

5 songs in and I'm absolutely hooked. Just like 2014 when it came out, there's no stopping once the record is playing. 

"West Texas Rain" is another standout and seems to have become a fan favorite in a live setting. "When It's Reckless" follows and is another upbeat song with a great chorus. Listeners will be replaying this one--it's easily one of my favorite upbeat songs from Bowen's catalog. At track 8 we find the album's best song. "Long Enough to Be a Memory" covers a lot of ground, from the initial move from one's hometown to the place where they'll begin to chase their dream, to the eventual road-life of all touring musicians. In each case, the narrator is a "stranger in a strange town," and yet, he concludes that each place is similar enough to "give me all I need." Bowen finishes each chorus with "and I just hope I stay long enough to be a memory." The song discusses how, even in the process of change, the cyclical nature of life always resurfaces. It's a truly great song. 

Unfortunately, that's where the album hits its peak. There's nothing wrong with the four remaining songs--they just aren't nearly as good as "Long Enough to Be a Memory." Many artists strictly follow the album format that places the strongest song either at the end of the album or near the end. It's hard for listeners to stay interested when they have four more songs to listen to after an album's best song. Nevertheless, this is my only criticism for this album. The last four songs are still good, but by default they're forgettable. 

I'd give Wade Bowen's self-titled album a solid 7/10. The follow up record, Solid Ground, is better, and hopefully I can find the proper words for it at some point. 




No comments:

Post a Comment