Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Kelsey Waldon Has Her Way With Classic Country

The greatest thing about country music in 2016 is that substantially talented artists, with respect for the genre, have the ability to make a living without radio play. Modern radio has pushed away so many listeners over the past five or so years that it's no wonder that artists like Chris Stapleton have had their day in the sun. Listeners who look for more than the most basic pop, hip hop, and arena rock arrangements mixed with banal lyrics about tailgates, beer, and tanned legs have begun to search a little more thoroughly for music with substance, and it's paid off for some of the most talented artists in the country genre. All it takes to convince people that there's much better music out there is exposure, and even someone like me, who listens to a lot of music and is always searching for new artists, misses out on some truly talented individuals until somebody tells me about them. Kelsey Waldon falls into that category.


Waldon's new album I've Got a Way was released on Friday, August 12th. It is 100% classic traditional country from beginning to end. I don't think I've heard so much steel guitar on an album I can recently recall. Where some albums lean on several traditional instruments, I've Got a Way features the steel guitar on every track, which results in the vintage sound trademarked years ago. I prefer more fiddle, mandolin, banjo, and dobro (I gravitate toward bluegrass influenced country, in general), but it was intriguing to hear one instrument used in so many ways in each song.

Lyrically, I've Got a Way is solid throughout, and every song has something specific to express. Standout track "False King" is full of great rhymes and features, perhaps, the single best line on the album when Waldon sings, "You can't place a crown on the head of a clown and then hope he turns out to be a king." I found myself smiling throughout the record because of Her wittiness ease of articulating complex emotions, which kept me interested throughout the album. "I'd Rather Go On" discusses sharp swings in a relationship in which the narrator comes to the conclusion that she'd rather just move on.  In the first verse she expresses a strong sense of vulnerability, but by the end of the chorus her decision is made. "All By Myself" is another standout song on the album. "I can be me all by myself" is another great lyric by Waldon, and is a line that can mean anything to a variety of people. It should be something that fans take to fairly quickly. There is no shortage of talent in Kelsey Waldon when it comes to lyrics and songwriting. As an album, I've Got a Way doesn't have any major shortcomings.

One thing about any good album, regardless of genre, is that problems are very hard to find. My criticisms of I've Got a Way aren't necessarily about the quality of the music. I will say that I'm not that fond of the sound of Kelsey Waldon's voice, but after repeated listens it is growing on me. She's definitely a skilled vocalist--it's more the tone of her voice that grates at me, but that can be cast aside as personal preference. I also prefer more variety in instrumental arrangements. Featuring the steel guitar is interesting but I think there was room to make the arrangements on this album more interesting. I'd love to hear what Kelsey Waldon can come up with if she adds more variety in the future.

Overall, my opinion of the album has as much to do with personal preference as it does with quality of the music. The songs, themselves, are great, and Kelsey Waldon is a fine lyricist. Take my rating with a grain of salt and don't hesitate to take a listen. 7/10.

*Written by Kellen Dobmeier, edited by April Dahlgren

Upcoming reviews:
Dust by Tremonti
Bury Me in My Boots by The Cadillac 3
Spark by Drake White
Pure and Simple by Dolly Parton
Hero by Maren Morris

Potential Reviews:
Multiple singles are receiving considering
Dig Your Roots by Florida Georgia Line
Dylan Scott's Self-Titled Debut

No comments:

Post a Comment